Friday, June 28, 2013

Let Your Movie Script Flow. Scene By Scene

Trust the treatment you wrote before starting to write a script and let your story flow. Let your story spill out onto the page. I've heard of people that tried to make their first draft perfect. I was one of those. I was making little to no progress on my script because I got caught up on each scene and line. There I was agonizing to make my script as perfect as it could be on the very first draft. Looking back it sounds funny because what is perfect in life? The definition is wide open.


When I wrote the scripts for Consignment and In With Thieves I was able to make it past the hang up of striving for perfection on the first draft. In fact I went the opposite way. I never went back to read over what I wrote the day before. I kept going until I was done with a first draft. I knew the first draft of the script was going to have a lot of problems that would need to be worked out through rewrites, but I wanted to get the story on paper to see the big picture.


Once I read through the first draft I develop a much stronger feel for the story, script, and movie playing in my head. Work on the second draft would be at more detailed pace then the first and so on. When I finally get to the draft that I think is good as it's going to get I put it out of my mind for a few days. Then I come back to it with a fresh perspective. It's amazing what stepping back does for your creative perspective when writing a script.

Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments

:) :-) :)) =)) :( :-( :(( :d :-d @-) :p :o :>) (o) [-( :-? (p) :-s (m) 8-) :-t :-b b-( :-# =p~ :-$ (b) (f) x-) (k) (h) (c) cheer

 
Posts RSSComments RSSBack to top
© 2013 movie2you ∙ Designed by Movie2you
Released under Creative Commons 3.0 CC BY-NC 3.0